250,000 volumes of manga to be read!!Research Reference Room
The Kyoto International Manga Museum was opened in November of 2006 as the first comprehensive cultural center for manga culture in Japan. It holds manga/comic related materials consisting of approximately 300,000 items, such as well-known after-war Japanese manga books, caricature woodblock prints, satire manga magazines published between the latter half of the 18th century and the early 19th century. There are also comics from around the world, as well as research journals for manga/comics.
Within the collection, 250,000 materials are kept in the archives for conservation. Of these materials, those that have been sorted and cataloged may be accessed on request for research purposes in the Research Reference Room upon registration.
Materials available for access in the Research Reference Room
Days and hours of operation
Persons with a research purpose who are 18 years old or above.
(Pre-registration is required)
You must make a reservation by contacting us to use the room at least a week in advance.
Please apply by these ways below.
3.Visit the room
Materials cannot be copied. Additionally, photography is also prohibited.
Registration with the Research Reference Room
- You must register the first time you use the Research Reference Room.
(*You can download PDF data of Card Registration Form here.)
- Registration hours are limited to the times that the Research Reference Room is open (applications close at 16:00).
- Registrants must be 18 years old or above and have a research or survey purpose.
- Registrants must provide proof of name, address, birth date etc. by supplying one of the following:
< Driver's license, health insurance card, passport, faculty staff card, staff card, pension booklet or a recent postal item, etc.>
- A materials preservation fee must be paid on registration. (This fee is currently being waived)
- You will be photographed in order to make your Research Reference Room ID card.
- Please inform The Museum if you have a change of address or contact details.
Use of the Research Reference Room
- You must make a reservation in advance to use the room (you can do this by phone).
- The room is open on Sundays and Fridays.
- The room may be accessed between the hours of: 10:30～16:30.
- Registrants may hold up to 2 reservations at once, for a maximum of 3 months in advance.
- Requests for materials may be made when making a reservation for use of the room.
(Accessible materials are searchable in the Manga Repository Search on The Museum's website)
- Only people who are registered with the Research Reference Room may access the room.
- Payment of the general entrance fee to The Museum is required in order to access the Research Reference Room.
- Holders of a museum Yearly Passport, proof of disability and may enter free of charge.
- Please refrain from eating, drinking, conversation and the use of mobile phones so as not to disturb other users.
- Photography is prohibited inside the room.
- You may requests up to 5 documents at a time.
- Materials that are currently being used for internal research or exhibition by The Museum, or which are on loan to external organizations cannot be accessed.
- Please understand that some items may not be available for use due to the condition of the materials.
- Currently there is no document copy service provided.
- Please take all due care not to damage the materials. If by chance damage occurs, you may be asked to provide compensation depending on the circumstances.
- We would appreciate your cooperation in filling out the Research Reference Room survey.
- Please abide by all instructions given to you by the staff or you will be asked to leave the room.